The relationship between Saitama Prefecture and the State of Ohio began in September 1985 when the Governor of Saitama Prefecture and the Saitama Association of Corporate Executives to North America visited Honda of America in the state of Ohio. After several exchange and goodwill visits, Saitama Prefecture and the state of Ohio signed sister- state agreement in October 1990.
Bordered by Lake Erie to the north, Ohio is one of the U.S.'s leading industrial states where Honda and many other Japanese companies are located. The state is also a major grain-producing region, There are over 100 institutions of higher education, of which 14 are public universities. It has more than 300 museums and art galleries, among which the Cincinnati Art Museum and the Cleveland Museum of Art are particularly famous. Thomas Edison, the Wright Brothers, and Neil Armstrong were born in this state.
- Ohio Saitama English Teaching Program (1990 through 2006)
- Scholarship program to study at a university in Ohio (since 1991)
- Internship program to work at a company in Saitama Prefecture (1991 - 2014)
- Internship program to work at a company in the state of Ohio (2001 - 2013)
- Visit by the Governor of Ohio to Japan, and visit by the First Lady of Ohio to Saitama (2004)
- Official visits led by the Governor of Saitama to Ohio (2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2014)
- Children of the state of Ohio send message of condolence to victims of the Great East Japan Earthquake