A cabinet member of the government of Brandenburg State visited Saitama Prefecture in April 1993. Following this, a number of exchange activities began between government officials, and both states signed the Saitama-Brandenburg Sister State Agreement in August 1999.
Brandenburg, which surrounds the German capital of Berlin, is a federal state blessed with forests and lakes in a rich natural environment. The Sanssouci Palace and its extensive gardens, once belonging to the former East Germany, was the summer residence of Frederick the Great and is a popular tourist destination. Potsdam, the capital of Brandenburg, was made famous as the place where the Potsdam Declaration, calling on Japan to end World War II, was issued in August 1945.
- Exchange program between Saitama Prefectural Omiya Senior High School and Ludwig-Leichhardt-Gymnasium in Cottbus (since 1996)
- Official delegation to Brandenburg to sign the Sister State Agreement (1999)
- Exchange program for researchers in the environmental field (1999 - 2004)
- Performances by Frankfurt Brandenburg State Orchestra in Saitama Prefecture (2001)
- Participation in the Saitama International Junior Football Tournament (2003)
- Visit of Deputy Prime Minister of Brandenburg to Saitama Prefecture (2007)
- Official friendship delegation to Brandenburg (2010)
- Brandenburg collaborates with Saitama Prefecture to help assist victims of the Great East Japan Earthquake (disaster relief fund donation - 2011)